Friends of Harpenden Academy
Friends of Harpenden Academy is our Parent Teacher Association. Together, we raise - on average - more than £10,000 each year, from events and activities that we enjoy running and our school community enjoys attending. This money is spent on school infrastructure, materials, activities and equipment, which make a huge difference to the quality of education experience our wonderful teachers can provide the children at our school.
We can’t do this without valuable support from the school community, and as a parent of Harpenden Academy, you are automatically a member of Friends. So... welcome!
Our committee consists of:
|Emma Watson||Events Coordinators|
How we'll get in touch
Classlist at Harpenden Academy
Classlist is the way we share information from your Class reps and the Friends of Harpenden Academy. You can also use Classlist to communicate directly with other parents in your class: about school and non-school events. You can pay for school events online using Classlist and you can use it to organise parties or playdates.
Registering for Classlist
- Visit classlist.com
- Click ‘Join here’. Enter our school name “Harpenden Academy” click continue
- Enter your basic information (name, email and a password you select)
- Your application will be sent to our school Classlist admin team for approval. This step makes sure only Harpenden Academy parents are on our Classlist site
- When approved, you will be sent an email letting you know you’re ready to go
- Once you have access to Classlist, you can (if you wish) add more personal information (like your address and a photo) to your profile
- Don’t forget to add @classlist.com to your safe senders list
- better still – add the Classlist app to your phone
- Classlist is registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office. This means it must meet obligations with regard to its data protection. Details are never passed to third parties
- Free to users, Classlist makes its money selling advertising - we have experienced it to be minimal, relevant and non-intrusive
How you can get involved with Friends
- Join the Friends Committee: we currently have a vacancy for a Sub-Chair
- All Friends members are welcome to come to meetings, even if you’re not a Class Representative or on the Committee. Don’t be shy! We meet every month in the evening, then retire to a local pub. Friends’ meetings are social, welcoming and a great way to get to know the school.
- Volunteer: most parents at our school also work outside the home, so we make sure that when you do put your hand up to help, your contribution is worthwhile and valuable. Most events for the coming year are already scheduled. We aim to be different and hold events you and your family will enjoy attending. But, we need plenty of help both before and on the day to pull them off. You will be asked to help.
What you can do now
Activate easyfundraising.com on your laptop when shopping online. One you add https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/invite/LVP6LB/ and a donation to Harpenden Academy, it reminds you to activate a donation when you visit a site offering easyfundraising. There is also a handy app you can download for shopping on a smartphone. Using the link above earns us an extra £1 per person so send it to friends and family too!
You will be amazed at how often the children misplace their belongings - the mountain of un-labelled clothing in Lost Property is huge! For your own sanity, name EVERYTHING. We receive a commission from two label suppliers which have been tried, tested and are recommended by parents:
LabelPlanet (10%) - www.name-labels.com - code: 35586
Stamptastic (30%) - www.stamptastic.co.uk - code: AL54EN
Volunteering in School
From time-to-time, the school asks for volunteers to help with activities taking place in school time with the children. Volunteering is incredibly valuable to the school and a fulfilling way to get involved. You could volunteer for a regular slot (e.g. reading in class) or for special activities and school trips (great fun!). Any volunteer who is likely to be in a 1-to-1 situation with a child needs a DBS check (criminal record check). This is simple and free to do, but can take a few weeks for results to return - so please do get yours in advance so you are able to step up to join in! Contact Kathryn Jackson in the school office to start the process.
Buy scooters, accessories and spare parts from the Micro online store, to raise 10% of your purchase price for our school. Another code to share with your friends and family www.micro-scooters.co.uk - code: 143648 at the checkout.
Becoming a class rep
Class reps help build a sense of community among the class parents and help provide the link between the parents and Friends of Harpenden Academy (FOHA) - our equivalent of a Parent Teacher Association). Like every parent, class reps are invited to the monthly FOHA meetings to gain a broader understanding of what the Friends do for the school.
With lots of busy parents – we recommend sharing the role with 1 or more parents.
The Role in a Nutshell
- Organising Class Social Events for Parents
- Class coffee mornings and parents’ evenings are always good fun and the most effective way of helping parents get to know each other and generating a good team spirit in your class
- School Events
- FOHA hold a variety of fundraising and social events throughout the school year. Class Reps are asked to encourage attendance and rally volunteers. For larger events (our Easter Egg Hunt and the post Sports Day Celebration) it works best if each class is allocated a stall/task and Class Reps are responsible for coordinating the preparation, rota and clearing up
- Some of our existing class reps send out weekly announcements via Classlist reminding class parents of upcoming class events/deadlines etc. They will often manage requests from the teachers such as bringing in extras for junk modelling or a themed week at school
- Teacher's Presents
- If your class decides it wants to give the Teacher and the Teaching Assistant a Christmas or end of year present, the Class Reps will organise this. Class Reps also generally coordinate a card or similar for the teachers with messages from the children at Christmas and the end of year
- Next Year's Reps
- Towards the end of the year, please find at least one lovely volunteer to rep for next year!