Here at Harpenden Academy we are all working together to help protect our environment! We are currently working towards getting our Bronze Award as members of the "Eco-Schools Award Programme".
There are nine key areas of focus in the Eco-Schools programme. These are:
- School grounds
- Healthy living
- Global citizenship
Our Key Stage 2 Eco Committee meet to discuss ways in which we can be more environmentally friendly as a school. We also have Eco-Warriors who are individuals from each class in both key stages. They have class responsibilities such as turning off light switches and computers. As a school we are conscious of recycling, litter picking and finding new ways of conserving energy.
The Eco-committee members have created a list to show ways in which we feel we can help protect the environment in one way or another. These ideas can be taken with us anywhere, not just to be followed at school!
- When you are outside, pick up your rubbish and don't drop litter on land or sea
- Have a garden indoors or outdoors and learn how to care for it.
- Have a compost bin and put your organic waste in it.
- Turn off the lights/tehnology when they are not needed.
- Don't let water run when it is not needed, for example, when brushing your teeth.
- Walk to school, ride your bike or scoot..
- Buy products with less wrapping and packaging.
- Do not print/photocopy things you do not have to.
- Participate in regular litter picks.
- Look after wildlife that comes into your garden/school grounds.